<<<<Back to Village History
12th February, 1926
MESSRS. BLUEMEL’S FIRE BRIGADE ACTIVITIES
The members of Messrs. Bluemel’s Fire Brigade were entertained to dinner by the firm on Saturday. Amongst those present were Messrs. C. W. Bluemel and E. A. Bluemel (directors), R. Bluemel, Chief Officer W. Ingle, Captain F. Stevenson, and Staff-Captains J. and A. Kelsey, J. Edmans, and A. Smith; and 16 members of the Brigade. Mr. C. W. Bluemel presided, and Mr. E. A. Bluemel was vice-chairman.
An excellent dinner, supplied by Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Berry, of Wolston, was much enjoyed. The Chairman gave a very interesting history of the Fire Brigade and described the marvellous improvements that had been made.
The Directors’ and Officers’ health having been duly honoured, the annual meeting followed. Chief Officer Ingle’s report showed that the Brigade had had a very successful year and had had no fires to attend. The Brigade consisted of 6 officers and 14 firemen. They had erected a new double hydrant, equipped with 400 feet of canvas hose, and two branches. This had become necessary for the protection of the new warehouses and offices. During the year they entered for two competitions, one at Coventry organised by the Coventry Associated Fire Brigades, and the other at Kenilworth organised by the Kenilworth Fire Brigade. They also had their own competitions at the works, which were a great success and were highly complimented by the judges on the excellent time made and the smartness with which the drills were performed.
The Brigade had this year joined the National Fire Brigades’ Association, and hoped, by so doing, to obtain help and assistance in their work as a Fire Brigade.
The Brigade also held their annual concert on Saturday night. The inhabitants always look to this event with pleasure, and quite 400 availed themselves of the invitation to be present.
Mr. F. H. Bluemel (managing director) presided, and was supported by Messrs. C. W. Bluemel, F. E. Walker (commercial manager) H. L. Corbishley, F. W. Channing, W. S. Lole, E. W. Ireson, T. R. Lole, and A. W. Blyth, whilst among others present were Messrs. O. Adams, T. Cooper, H. Dipple, T. Hanson, T. E. Walker, Wr. Kirby, N. Barker, and T. Everton. “The Merry Mixtures” were engaged, and their entertainment was thoroughly enjoyed. The manager’s (Mr. Jack Marshall) ready wit caused roars of laughter, whilst Mr. Alfred Twiselton’s fine baritone voice met with much appreciation; and Mr. William Morton also highly pleased the company.
Miss Gladys Marshall’s caricatures and singing were vociferously encored, and proved her to be an able comedian. Miss Myrtle Pugh was very clever for one so young, and Mr. C. O’Donnel well sustained his various items. Miss Dolly Williams accompanied throughout. During a break, Mr. F. H. Bluemel congratulated the members of the Brigade on their interest and efficiency. Chief Officer W. Ingle suitably acknowledged this.
Death of Wolston Manufacturer.
One of the best-known men in Rugby and district, Mr Ernest Adolphus Bluemel, a director of Messrs. Bluemel Brothers, Ltd. of Main Street, Wolston, died at his residence, Penrhos House, Moultrie Road, Rugby in the first week of January 1938.
Mr Bluemel was the last survivor of three brothers who in 1902 purchased the old artificial silk works owned by Mr Joseph Cash, at Wolston, and moved their successful manufacturing business from Stepney, to cater for Coventry's fast developing cycle and motor industry. The brothers were rather frightened by the size of their new factory, but the wisdom of their choice was shown when additions had to be made to the premises to accommodate their production.
From a small start with 150 employees the workforce had grown to over 600 at the time of Mr Bluemel's death. Described as a modern factory, its chief products were plastic mouldings in bakelite, steering wheels, and pumps, and to a lesser degree, bicycle mudguards and gear cases.
Mr Ernest Bluemel retired from active participation in the business soon after the First World War, but remained a director until his death.
Apart from his association with the firm, his chief interests were Holy Trinity Church and the Hospital of St Cross. His support for the hospital was described as ".. a rare combination of financial generosity and devoted practical service".