The Parish Council rents 12 acres of private land for use by the Wolston and Brandon Allotments and Gardens Association, and has done so since 29th September 1990 when it was asked to take over their lease by the Allotments Association. The land, which is administered by Godfrey-Payton, as agents for the C R E W Wilcox Will Trust, has been used as Allotments for many years. The entrance on Stretton Road is opposite what used to be Herbert's Ground Allotment Field which the Parish Council, formed in 1894, rented from Mr H.Townsend, and sub- let to people from the village from 1901 to 1935. Following his death, the land was sold by the Executors of Mr Townsend and eventually, a row of houses was built on the field, which used to stretch to the old Vicarage garden which itself is now home to John Simpson Close and Chestnut Grove.
The Wilcox family has provided land for Allotments in the village on the current site for many years. Some villagers will remember that there were also allotments provided in the old walled garden of Wolston Manor in the Church Field, after the Manor House was demolished, and before the primary school was built.
The current Allotment site is centrally located and, although alternative sites have been suggested and considered over the years, there were always snags which prevented a move from the private site. We are fortunate to have such a large space for allotments; in many areas there are long waiting lists to get a plot on the limited land available. There are, however, several plots free at the moment in Wolston. They can be rented very economically in sizes to suit the gardener, and some have raised beds to enable easier access. Anyone wishing to rent a plot should contact Ray French on (024) 7654 4753.